Sorry for being away for so long. We were in the middle of a really big project that had to be done. Now that it is done we can do what we need to do here.
Since this is what we were doing for the past 2 months. We thought that this was a good subject to do for the blog. We were helping to get a home ready to sell. So what does that mean. Look at your home as a buyer would. These are some of the things that you you should look at when you are doing your walk through- take note of the the things that you see that need to be done. Starting from the outside and then go inside:
* Take a good hard look at the curb appeal of your home. What needs to be changed. It does not cost any money to weed, trim back and make things look nice on the outside. If the plants are not letting the light into the home because they are over grown, trim them. Look at the side walks and drive ways are they in good shape or do they need repairs?
* What does the outside of the house look like. Is it well maintained or is paint pealing off, the door bell is not working, the door needs to be replaced…… you get the point.
These are the things that people are going to see first. Are they going to invite people to come in and see what the house looks like or are they going to want to drive on by without a second thought.
Now to the inside. Do you have projects that are half done. Repairs that need to be done. Is the house clean. These are the kinds of things that need to be addressed before you sell. When you take care of these things make sure that they are done neatly and finished. Those really picky buyers will not even give it a second thought if they are not done very well when you do take care of these things.
Here is a video that give a very good example of these things. Check it out.
Remember that people are trying to see how they would put things that they won into your home. So you need to do everything that you can do to help them see themselves in your home. So things that you should do to start with is:
* Take down your family photos.
* If you have collections of things that could be broken or stolen, pack them up.
* Take out some of the furniture and stuff so that rooms look as big as they can be.
* Clean, Clean, Clean…. people will look in you ovens, fridge, cabinets, linen closets, closets. Make them as neat as can be.
This video goes into this more. Check it out.
If you do not do the repairs or you do a sloppy job at it the buyer will start seeing dollar signs adding up for them or a lot of work for them to fix things. If they give an offer at all, it will be a low ball offer because of these things. If you want to get the most out of your home do it right the first time or you will be losing money on your home when selling it.
If you do not do the repairs than it will be looked at as a fixer upper. If you do a sloppy job or do not finish the job right, you will loose a lot of buyers because they do not want to do the work when you only did half of the job.
Good luck on selling your home if that is what is in the future for you. Do these things before you put it on the market, you will be a lot better off and have a lot more money in your hands when you do sell.
Dan and Deanna “Marketing Unscrambled”